Pre-Op Instructions for Nitrous Oxide - Conscious Sedation (laughing gas):
- No food or drink (not even water) for 3 hours prior to dental appointment time.
- Failure to fast will result in termination of the appointment/procedure and being charged failed appointment fee of $150.00.
Pre-op Instructions for ORAL Sedation - Conscious Sedation (drink) AND/OR General Anesthesia - Deep Sedation (IV and fully asleep):
The Week Of:
- You must arrange to be accompanied by a responsible adult and must go home by car. Please ensure this is confirmed. The caregiver accompanying a child should not have any other children/siblings with them. It is recommended that a child have two (2) adults to accompany them.
- If you your child have a cold, persistent cough, nausea or vomiting, fever or are recovering from a recent illness, contact the office at least three (3) business days before your appointment.
- Have clear fluids and soft foods, Advil, Tylenol and Gravol suppository, at home for after your anesthetic appointment.
The Day Of:
- You must have an empty stomach from midnight the night before your appointment (or the 8 HOURS prior to surgery). This includes juice, milk, gum chewing and candies.
- Up to 3 HOURS BEFORE surgery. You can drink WATER or APPLE JUICE ONLY!
- Food in the stomach may result in vomiting and subsequent lung infections during the anesthetic. This is a very serious emergency and can be fatal.
- If you do not follow these instructions, treatment will be cancelled, and you will be charged up to a $500 cancellation fee.
- Confirm the person who will be taking you home after your surgery.
- Take your daily medications as usual with a small sip of water. Unless instructed otherwise.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing- t-shirt, socks, flat shoes (no tights, leotards, or onesies). no nail polish or contact lenses.
- Please arrive 10 minutes before your scheduled appointment time, leave valuables at home, and do not smoke.
- If the patient does not speak English well, they must be accompanied by a translator. Further, the individual who has power of attorney must be present or available by phone.
After your Conscious Sedation and General Anethetic Visit:
- A responsible adult must drive you home in a car or taxi (no public transportation) and stay with you until the next day as the medications given to you will make you feel drowsy, and your responses will be slow.
- You must rest quietly for the remainder of the day and up to 24 hours following your visit.
- You must not: drive, operate machinery, consume alcohol or smoke for 24 hours.
- Do not sign any important documents or post on social media, for 24 hours as your judgement may be somewhat impaired.
- Do not use ‘screens’ e.g.: Social Media, iPad, X-box, computer, cellphone or any device that may allow your child to access internet. Judgement is impaired and areas of the internet and social media may be viewed or posted on without informed consent or knowledge.
- Sometimes, after a General Anesthesia visit, the IV site can become irritated. If your arm is sore, apply a warm, moist compress. If the site becomes red or painful, please contact us. Bruising is not uncommon, and this will resolve within a few days.
- It is important to start eating and drinking after anesthesia. Start with sips of clear fluids and resume a soft diet shortly thereafter. Examples of soft foods include soup, pudding, pasta, rice, pancakes, scrambled eggs, and smoothies. Avoid eating heavy, fried, and fatty foods. Resume a regular diet as tolerated. If you experience frequent vomiting, please call us.